Thursday, July 30, 2009

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho it's off to conference I go


This is one of my favourite times of the year. Maybe I'm mad but I love winter. I love to get in a cuddly jumper and sit in my favourite sunny spot and read a good book. I love to get into bed and snuggle deep into the blankets. I love winter comfort food, especially pumpkin soup with crusty bread.

What has this got to do with the title of this post? It is also the time of year that I get on a plane and travel off to the Romance Writers of Australia conference (this year held in Brissy). I love it because I get to hang out with my fellow romance writers and meet new friends who "get" me and what I do. It is also a chance to hear the latest trends in Romance writing and meet my favourite authors.

This year I am pitching to a literary agent. I am very excited and nervous but I know I have to go out of my comfort zone in order to make my dreams come true. To have and agent would make that dream a little bit closer to reality.

Despite what most people think getting a book from your imagination to the page and then to a publisher and then on the shelf is a long and drawn out process. It could be up to 2 years between signing a contract and seeing that book on the shelf depending on your publisher. So one must have patience and then some. The longest wait is usually getting that first sale. Some sell their first book quite quickly, others could spend a decade or more before selling. I'd be happy for somewhere in between. I have only completed two and a half manuscripts and really they were/are all learning experiences for me. I am perfecting my craft. So yes, I'm afraid, it's off to work I go.

Wish me luck with the agent pitch.

Until next time keep using only the good words

No comments: