Wednesday, January 7, 2009

New Year New Beginnings

Welcome to a new year. It's amazing what a new year does to ones priorities. Yes, of course I'm talking of New Years Resolutions and goals.

I met with my critique partner on the weekend and we spent a very constructive morning setting goals for ourselves. Goals are important. More important is making them realistic. There is nothing worse than failing goals. It's upsetting, at least to me.

So what goals did I set for myself this year? Well, now that I have finished my MS I need to consider my next project. I brainstormed with my friend and we decided that my next project will be a light, humorous Regency Historical. It's working title is Educating Elliot and it is a fish out of water story about a rakehell who gets sent to the country to run one of his father's estates for a year. He has to prove his worth or his father is threatening disinheritance. Nasty. Problem is he has no idea what he is doing and when he turns up at Featherscombe there is no one there except for the mysterious Mr Owens. No staff, no furniture, no food, no nothing and the only thing Mr Owens knows how to cook is boiled eggs. Hmm my hero is in for a rough ride, isn't he? LOL. Luckily, my heroine is most capable in that area. Of course, I haven't written it yet so it is all subject to change but I think I am going to have a lot of fun writing it.

My New Years resolution is to do more exercise. I suffer from Sero Negative Athritis which prevents me from being as active as I would like but I am determined to walk the dog or have a go on the walking machine in the garage.

Other goals are to try and enjoy my family more. Hubby and I have set in motion a new financial system, which we hope will give us less stress and let us reward ourselves a little more. The tin lids (kids) are all excited about school - not. My middle child is going to High School this year and is uncertain about it all, but I am certain she will love it. She's creative like me so I can see her enjoying music, language, art etc. My baby is still in pre-school and won't be going to "big" school until next year. My eldest is in year 9 and is going to pull her socks up this year, or at least she better. No, really, she is a good kid. Not as outgoing as her sister but she keeps herself out of trouble and has nice friends. Can't ask for more than that really can you?

Oh, yeah, back to goals. I am going to write 500 words a day. It doesn't sound much and I am capable of writing much more in a day but as I work and have a young family I don't want to overstreach my limits. As I said above I hate not reaching goals.

So, what are your goals for this year? Do you ever keep your New Years resolutions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassie,
'Hi. My name is Dana and I too set goals.' Announcing that feels like standing up at the beginning of a 12 step program! I've been quietly setting goals for over 30 years. (Yes, since I was 7). They help me stay focused through the chaos of my daily life. But the most effective means of goal setting I've only put into practice the last couple of years...that's having a friend help keep me accountable...thanks for being that friend (in the writing department). Dana

Cassandra Samuels said...

Dana

That is great. 30yrs is a long time. I must admit it has only been the last 10 that I have made goals for my life. It does keep you focused and gives you direction. Thank you for being that friend to me also. We are Goal Goddesses!