Friday, August 15, 2014

Romance Writers of Australia Conference - Sydney 2014 - Wrap up

Well, as always, a great time was had by all at the RWA conference. This year the event was held at the Novotel Homebush.


For me the festivities started with the Literacy High Tea - a charity event. The guest speaker was Cherry Adair who is a very funny lady and told us of her experience getting her first library card.





After that I was spoilt rotten by the fabulous team at Harlequin. This was my first Harlequin dinner and there were a few surprises thrown in to keep things interesting. The venue and food was scrumptious. I went to bed tired but totally excited about my author journey.

















I didn't attend the Friday workshop but I did attend the cocktail party on the Friday night. The theme: Leather and Lace. I decided, as I am an author or Regency Romance to dress as a Regency lady. My mother Beverley and her friend Sharon kindly decorated my bonnet to match my gown. Didn't they do an awesome job?


Anne Gracie and I at the cocktail party.

Saturday and it was down to business. Workshops and guest speakers filled my day and my head. Lots of lovely conversations with newbies and old friends alike. Cherry Adair and James Scott Bell were both terrific. And I got my first sale ribbon which was very exciting.
My first sale ribbon













As Moderator of the RWA- Historical writers e-loop it was my great pleasure to gather all the historical authors I could for our annual Historical Luncheon. What a wonderful bunch of people there are in this group. I am also happy to announce that I have signed up a few more members too.

Saturday night and the party was on! Awards night is always such a wonderful time. We get to frock up and celebrate great achievements. Emma Darcy gave a lovely speech that made us all laugh and cry when she accepted her Hall of Fame Award.

Sunday and it was back to work with more fabulous workshops and fun. I love that we always end on a high with Anne Gracie's stand up call. Hopefully, one year we will be able to have everyone standing at the end of her stand up call.

After everything is over there is always a sense of great inspiration, buoyed by the knowledge that I, as a writer am not alone. That there is an amazing organisation out there, run by volunteers, and filled with Romance writers. Romance Writers of Australia you really do rock! I cannot wait for next year in Melbourne.

No comments: